I love this recipe. I think it was one of the first meals I cooked as a newly wed (which I still am). The recipe is simple and takes less than 5 minutes before it’s crock pot ready! The best part about this dish is that it makes two meals, but you only have to cook once! Serve the BBQ chicken the first night with brown rice and your favorite vegetable. The next night, make BBQ Chicken & Cheddar Quesadillas or BBQ Chicken sandwiches.
Prep time: 5 minutes or less Cook time: 6 hours
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup barbecue ( I use Sweet Baby Ray’s Original)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian dressing ( I use Kraft or Ken’s Lite Italian)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth ( You can substitute water)
- Put chicken in the slow cooker. In a two-cup measuring cup, measure and combine barbecue sauce, dressing, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred it with two forks on a cutting board. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch and broth (or water) together. Pour mixture into crock pot and stir with barbecue sauce until thickened.
- Return chicken back to crock pot and stir. Cook for another 45 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Serve over brown rice or with a baked potato. Enjoy!
Keeping it simple,
The Southern Bee
Note: I found this recipe in a cooking magazine, but I can’t remember which one!